[dm-devel] dm: Make MIN_IOS, et al, tunable via sysctl.

Frank Mayhar fmayhar at google.com
Mon Aug 19 17:54:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 10:00 -0400, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> Performance isn't the concern.  The concern is: does DM allow for
> forward progress if the system's memory is completely exhausted?
>
> This is why request-based has such an extensive reserve, because it
> needs to account for cloning the largest possible request that comes in
> (with multiple bios).

Thanks for the response.  In our particular case, I/O will be file
system based and over a network, which makes it pretty easy for us to be
sure that large I/Os never happen.  That notwithstanding, however, as
you said it just seems reasonable to make these values configurable.

I'm also looking at making some similar constants in dm-verity and
dm-bufio configurable in the same way and for similar reasons.
--
Frank Mayhar
310-460-4042