[dm-devel] How to use dm-cache-target?

Darrick J. Wong darrick.wong at oracle.com
Tue Mar 12 16:56:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:27:56PM +0000, thornber at redhat.com wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:04:17AM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:31:53AM +0000, thornber at redhat.com wrote:
> > I suspect the poster's asking if dmcaches will automatically reassemble
> > themselves.
> >
> > I've been wondering myself what's the status of the lvm-tools integration? :)
>
> LVM changes at a glacial pace.  Would it be helpful if I knocked up
> some tools to make it easier for people to play with this stuff?

Well, we could possibly compare notes; here are some scripts that I've been
using:
http://djwong.org/docs/dmcache-tools.tar.gz

dm-format-blockdev and dm-load-cache are the key ones.  It also comes with udev
rules to (I hope) make the cache win any /dev symlink wars, and automount the
cache when all component devices are found.  They work for me, but beware they
might reflash your BIOS with rude poetry also. :)

--D