[dm-devel] vg disappeared after replacing disc in raid10

Björn Nadrowski bjrnfrdnnd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:02:54 UTC 2013

Hello,

After replacing a disc in my raid10 system (ubuntu 12.04), my volume group (that contained all my data and my system) was gone.

Problem description is here:

I managed to retrieve the metadata of the volume group and the logical volumes underneath, but I did not succeed using

vgcfgrestore

successfully in order to regain access to my data.

It seems I might have to try dmsetup, but I am afraid I might destroy my data if I use it. I have no experience with that program.

If any of you has any idea or any experience with restoring lvm volumes or using dsetup, please help me!