[dm-devel] Volume group / volumes not activated at boot

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 09:32:48 UTC 2013

Dne 23.10.2013 17:05, David Rosenstrauch napsal(a):
> For several months now, my server has be been failing to activate all volume
> groups / volumes at boot.  My server has 3 PV's, 3 VG's, and 4 LV's.  But for
> some reason only 3 of the 4 LV's are activated after boot.
>
> I can subsequently activate the VG manually (vgchange -ay vg2) and then mount
> the LV.  But the fact that the LV never activates automatically at boot time
> means that I can't add it in the fstab to so that it mounts at boot.
>
> The start of the problem seems to coincide with when my distro (Arch Linux)
> moved to using lvmetad for device discovery.  But the distro's LVM package
> maintainer has reviewed my logs and can't see any reason why the volume group
> is not getting activated.

IMHO in normal case distro should ensure that only devices needed for the
system are activated on the boot.

So if you need all your volumes from a VG active - just add somewhere in your
boot sequence    'vgchange -ay' if you need all LVs active.

There is also recently a support for 'autoactivated' LVs - but this needs
lvmetad daemon running in your system.

Zdenek