[dm-devel] Hibernate/Resume and dm-cache, dm-writeboost...

Rolf Fokkens rolf at rolffokkens.nl
Wed Dec 24 18:35:49 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On the linux-bcache mailing list the potential issue was brought up
about writes to backing or caching device after bringing up devices in
initramdisk, but prior to an actual resume. The actual issue is that
there should be no writes between hibernation and resume:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bcache/msg02692.html

If this is an issue for bcache, I can imagine it also is for other
caching solutions like dm-cache and dm-writeboost. I'm not an expert on
this, but from my user perspective it seems somewhat concerning (for
both bcache and the DM caching solutions) and an expert view on this
might be needed.

Thanks,

Rolf