[dm-devel] [BUG] dm-writeboost: too big nr_rambuf_pool causes massive memory pressure or panic.

Akira Hayakawa ruby.wktk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 01:01:30 UTC 2014

Hi, Satoru,

I totally agree with removing the BUG() at (2).

However, I don't agree with setting the upper limit of nr_rambuf_pool.
You are saying that any memory allocation failure on initialization should be avoided
but that sounds going too far. Removing that possibility from all kernel codes is impossible in practice.
Carefully terminating the initialization on allocation failure is sufficient.

For your guidance,
the amount of memory we need depends on how fast the SSD is.
In practice, few MB for RAM buffer is sufficient for
commodity SSD as caching device. However, it could be higher with much more faster SSD
or one may want to set it up for higher value in experiments.

- Akira