[dm-devel] [PATCH] dm-writeboost: Remove unsure BUG() from init_rambuf_pool
Alasdair G Kergon
agk at redhat.com
Sat Jul 19 18:13:39 UTC 2014
On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 08:40:52PM +0900, Satoru Takeuchi wrote:
> In addition, I'd like to know your opinion about whether setting
> the upper limit of nr_rambuf_pool argument is neccesary or not.
1) If it's a parameter passed from userspace under the control of the
sysadmin, then you should just trust the sysadmin to set a sensible
value, and only return an error if the value they ask for is unobtainable.
Example: dm-ioctl.c copy_params()
2) If certain large values would be useless, leaving no memory for
anything else, then you could apply a sensible limit based on the amount
of memory available.
* Memory management policy:
* Limit the number of buffers to DM_BUFIO_MEMORY_PERCENT of main memory
* or DM_BUFIO_VMALLOC_PERCENT of vmalloc memory (whichever is lower).
* Always allocate at least DM_BUFIO_MIN_BUFFERS buffers.
More information about the dm-devel