[dm-devel] multipath-tools: -fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong change

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 22:45:44 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 05:17:32PM +0200, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
> Hello Benjamin,
>
> your patch "enable gcc format-security check" (9b7741c) not only added
> -Wformat-security, but also changed fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong.
> Was this change intentional? It is not mentioned in the commit log and seems
> to require a recent gcc:
>
> cc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fstack-protector-strong’
> with
> gcc version 4.8.2 20140324 [gcc-4_8-branch revision 208789] (SUSE Linux)

I do think switching from fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong is
a good idea, and I use if for the redhat builds, but I didn't mean to
include that change in my commit. I can send a commit to back it out if
it's causing an annoyance.  Once gcc 4.9 has been around for a while
longer, I'll resend a commit to include it.

-Ben