[dm-devel] multipath-tools: -fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong change

Bart Van Assche bvanassche at acm.org
Tue Jul 22 04:59:39 UTC 2014

On 07/22/14 00:45, Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 05:17:32PM +0200, Sebastian Herbszt wrote:
>> Hello Benjamin,
>>
>> your patch "enable gcc format-security check" (9b7741c) not only added
>> -Wformat-security, but also changed fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong.
>> Was this change intentional? It is not mentioned in the commit log and seems
>> to require a recent gcc:
>>
>> cc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fstack-protector-strong’
>> with
>> gcc version 4.8.2 20140324 [gcc-4_8-branch revision 208789] (SUSE Linux)
>
> I do think switching from fstack-protector to fstack-protector-strong is
> a good idea, and I use if for the redhat builds, but I didn't mean to
> include that change in my commit. I can send a commit to back it out if
> it's causing an annoyance.  Once gcc 4.9 has been around for a while
> longer, I'll resend a commit to include it.

How about only using fstack-protector-strong if it is supported ? It
could be interesting to have a look at the Linux kernel build system. A
Makefile function called "cc-option" has been defined in
scripts/Kbuild.include that is used to test whether or not the compiler
supports a certain compiler flag.

Bart.