[dm-devel] Some thoughts about providing data block checksumming for ext4

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:37:09 UTC 2014

On 11/05/2014 01:27 AM, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> So you really need cryptographic hashes instead of checksums to avoid the
> collisions.

I am not sure if it was mentioned but also see how integrity is implemented in
FreeBSD GELI system by playing with sector sizes

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/geom/eli/g_eli_integrity.c?view=co

Also, for encrypted devices (either on file level or block level) I think
there are still requests for implementing real crypto authenticated modes (like GCM)
which obviously need similar space for auth tag. (I think ZFS uses it this way.)

Milan