[dm-devel] RHEL6.6 dm-cache and dm-era

Romu huruomu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:35:21 UTC 2014

I tried the following command to set up my era target but the command
immediately panics the system and the system reboots.

# dmsetup create MyEra --table "0 41941903 era
/dev/mapper/VG-CacheDataLV_cmeta /dev/mapper/VG-OriginLV 4096"

The metadata dev and the origin dev are all part of a LVM cache LV.
VG-CacheDataLV_cmeta is the cache metadata LV on the smaller and faster
device, VG-OriginLV is the origin LV on the faster and slower device,
41941903 is the total sector number of the device of OriginLV (the LV takes
100% space of the device), 4096 is the block size of OriginLV, I have run
'mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/VG-OriginLV' before running the dmsetup command.

Below is the message in /var/log/messages after running the dmsetup
comnmand:

kernel: device-mapper: era: sb_check failed: magic 1623043: wanted
2126579579
kernel: device-mapper: block manager: superblock validator check failed for
block 0
kernel: device-mapper: era: couldn't read_lock superblock

Any idea?

Thanks
Romu