[dm-devel] dm-mpath: Work with blk multi-queue drivers

Keith Busch keith.busch at intel.com
Thu Sep 25 15:57:41 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 24 2014 at  2:34pm -0400,
>> Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> I never did take the time to properly review Hannes' proposal but now
>>> that you're floating this blk-mq support for DM core (and DM mpath) I'm
>>> clearly going to have to take this all on in a much more focused way.
>>>
>>> Christoph/Hannes/Junichi/Keith/others, can you see a way forward that
>>> offers a lighter request-based DM that makes required callouts to (new?)
>>> block interfaces that helps us abstract the old request and blk-mq
>>> request allocation, etc?
>>
>> (sorry about replying to myself...)
>>
>> SO revisiting that thread from above, these posts stand out:
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2014-June/msg00026.html
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2014-June/msg00028.html
>>
>> I'd love to see us get rid of request-based DM's bio cloning for each
>> cloned request (we never did get an answer from the NEC guys to know
>> _why_ that was done).
>
> Actually, Junichi did respond with why:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2014-June/msg00033.html
>
> So this needs more review and thought.

Thank you for all the background information. This definitely gives me
a lot more to think about.

For my part, the goal was to change as little as possible to get basic
blk-mq support working safely without regressing, and performance is
not even on my radar yet. I purposefully did not try to understand the
existing design well enough to propose re-arching. If we can address the
'request' life cycle management duality issue, would this be acceptable
as a stopgap for blk-mq support?