[dm-devel] AMD-Vi IO_PAGE_FAULTs and ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED errors since Linux 4.0

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Tue Aug 4 14:47:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 03 2015 at  4:12am -0400,
Joerg Roedel <joro at 8bytes.org> wrote:

> Looking at the patch, it seems to me that it just uncovered a bug
> elsewhere. It looks like an underlying driver doesn't expect the
> big io-requests that the patch enables and does not dma-map the whole
> target buffer, causing the IO_PAGE_FAULTs later.

That patch has caused issues elsewhere too, see this 'Revert "block:
remove artifical max_hw_sectors cap"' thread (if/when lkml.org
cooperates): https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/7/20/572

But it could be that there is a need for a horkage fix for this specific
hardware? something comparable to this?:
http://git.kernel.org/linus/af34d637637eabaf49406eb35c948cd51ba262a6

We are running out of time to fix these whack-a-mole issues in 4.2
though.