[dm-devel] multipath -f with friendly names doesn't flush

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hp.com
Thu Aug 20 16:32:49 UTC 2015

Hello Christophe,
I couldn't find any other way to file a defect against the package, so
I'm sending this email out.   I'm working on OpenStack and using the
multipath daemon to discover mpath devices to pass in to nova VMs as
well as flushing/removing mpath devices with multipath -f <WWN or
dm-X>.  I'm the primary author of the OpenStack os-brick library
http://github.com/openstack/os-brick which is used to discover volume
attachments and remove volumes from the host OS.

I'm seeing an issue with multipath v0.4.9 (on Ubuntu 14.04) that when
friendly names are enabled in /etc/multipath.conf,
calls to
multipath -f <WWN or dm-X> does nothing.

All of the multipath entries in /dev/disk/by-id are not removed and the
multipath device is still in the table.
I can run multipath -ll <WWN or dm-X> and it's still there.

Turning off friendly names makes multipath -f <WWN or dm-X> works and
the multipath -ll <WWN or dm-X> entry is gone.

Cheers,
Walt