[dm-devel] [RFC] Modern device mapper module makes problems for dump analysis

Alexey Ishchuk aishchuk at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Dec 1 13:34:53 UTC 2015

Hi,

in the modern device mapper Linux kernel module the data structure
struct dm_table is declared more than once. One of those declarations is
the real structure definition and the other are dummy definitions. This
coding manner makes serious problems for the Linux kernel dump analysis
with crash utility using custom EPPIC language scripts and even the
dminfo built-in crash extension does not work with the dumps. The
problem occurs because the crash utility tries to expose to the EPPIC
language scripts a dummy structure definition that contains no required
fields.

I would like to get to know, why do we need more than one struct
dm_table declarations in the kernel module? Is it possible to improve
the device mapper kernel module code to have the only one struct
dm_table declaration to allow kernel dumps to be analyzed using custom
scripts?

Best regards,
Alexey Ishchuk