[dm-devel] 4.4-rc4 multipath not working?

E V eliventer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:55:13 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 4:00 PM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 11 2015 at 12:23pm -0500,
> E V <eliventer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just tried booting 4.4-rc4 on a system with using the mptsas driver:
>> LSISAS3008: FWVersion(03.00.08.00), ChipRevision(0x02), BiosVersion(05.07.02.00)
>>
>> And multipath doesn't seem to be working, dmesg has lots of these:
>>
>> device-mapper: table: 254:2: multipath: unknown path selector type
>> device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
>
> You compile the path selector module you're attempting to use?
Yes as far as I can tell, here are the _DM_ config options in my config:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM_BUILTIN=y
# CONFIG_DM_MQ_DEFAULT is not set
# CONFIG_DM_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_DM_CRYPT is not set
# CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT is not set
# CONFIG_DM_THIN_PROVISIONING is not set
# CONFIG_DM_CACHE is not set
# CONFIG_DM_ERA is not set
# CONFIG_DM_MIRROR is not set
CONFIG_DM_RAID=m
# CONFIG_DM_ZERO is not set
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH=y
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_QL=y
# CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_ST is not set
# CONFIG_DM_DELAY is not set
CONFIG_DM_UEVENT=y
# CONFIG_DM_FLAKEY is not set
# CONFIG_DM_VERITY is not set
# CONFIG_DM_SWITCH is not set
# CONFIG_DM_LOG_WRITES is not set

>> Is it expected to work? and any suggestions on getting it to work,
>
> Yes, no reason dm-multipath shouldn't work (other than user error).
Entirely possible, this is my first multipath setup.

> Figure out what the multipath table load line that failed to load
> (verbose logging with multipathd?) and make sure you have the
> corresponding path selector modules enabled in your .config

Running multipathd with -v3 shows this in it's output, trimming 1st
few columns for the 1st mpath device in the output. Doesn't mean much
to me, other then I see the queue_length selector is set as expected:
read /etc/multipath.conf
multipath.conf line 8, duplicate keyword: defaults
set open fds limit to 1048576/1048576
sdab: ownership set to mpathc
sdab: not found in pathvec
sdab: mask = 0xc
sdab: path state = running
sdab: get_state
directio: starting new request
directio: io finished 4096/0
sdab: state = up
sdab: const prio = 1
mpathc: pgfailback = -1 (config file default)
mpathc: pgpolicy = failover (internal default)
mpathc: selector = queue_length (config file default)
mpathc: features = 0 (config file default)
mpathc: hwhandler = 0 (internal default)
mpathc: rr_weight = 1 (internal default)
mpathc: minio = 1 rq (config file default)
mpathc: no_path_retry = 0 (internal default)
mpathc: fast_io_fail_tmo = 5 (config file default)
mpathc: retain_attached_hw_handler = 1 (config file default)
sdd: No SAS end device for 'end_device-1:0'
sdab: No SAS end device for 'end_device-1:1'
mpathc: remove queue_if_no_path from '0'
mpathc: assembled map [0 0 2 1 queue_length 1 1 8:48 1 queue_length 1
1 65:176 1]
mpathc: set ACT_CREATE (map does not exist)
mpathc: domap (0) failure for create/reload map
mpathc: ignoring map
sdd: orphan path, map flushed
const prioritizer refcount 46
directio checker refcount 46
sdab: orphan path, map flushed

then after it goes through all the devices it says this:
dm-5: remove map (uevent)
dm-5: No DM_NAME in uevent, ignoring
uevent 'add' from '/devices/virtual/block/dm-5'
uevent 'remove' from '/devices/virtual/block/dm-5'