[dm-devel] System freeze for few seconds when using dm-cache on high load

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Sun Feb 22 21:39:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

14.01.2015, 14:34, Michał Zubkowicz kirjoitti:
> I'm using dm-cache on such setup:
> dm-cache -> luks -> lvm2 ->ext4
> Kernel version: 3.13.0-43
>
> On high disk load (ie when saving virtual machine state) whole system
> freezes for a few seconds.
> I've tried already to change scheduler (from deadline to cbq), change
> ext4 mount options, now i've got:
> errors=remount-ro,noatime,nodiratime,discard,barrier=0,relatime
>
> There is something I should check, or maybe it's a 'normal' behaviour,
> or maybe my  whole setup is wrong?

Can't really help you directly, but just for the record, I also get
whole-system (i.e. not just frozen disks) freezes of 10-60 seconds on
heavy disk load on a somewhat similar system:
kernel 3.14.27,
md-raid6 (16x 4TB) -> lvm with lvm-cache (dm-cache) -> luks -> ext4.

Haven't had the time to investigate further, and they are still rather
rare for me (~1 per month).
They seemed to start when I added dm-cache and luks to the setup.

No messages appear in kernel log when it happens.

--
Anssi Hannula