[dm-devel] awful request merge results while simulating high IOPS multipath

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 22:10:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 25 2015 at  1:17pm -0500,
Busch, Keith <keith.busch at intel.com> wrote:

> Sorry, my reply was non sequitur to this thread. We don't do merging
> in NVMe.

NVMe may not but current dm-multipath's top-level queue will.  And any
future blk-mq enabled dm-multipath (which I'm starting to look into now)
will need to also.

> Our first bottleneck appears to be the device mapper's single lock
> request queue.

Obviously if we switched dm-multipath over to blk-mq we'd eliminate
that.  I'll see how things go and will share any changes I come up
with.

FYI, here is a related exchange Jens and I had on the LSF-only mailing
list: