[dm-devel] dm thin: How to shrink think pool device?

Maxim Patlasov mpatlasov at parallels.com
Wed Mar 18 23:46:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

It seems that a "trim" pool message was planned long time ago, but never
implemented. Could someone update about current status of that? The
question came from the following use-case:

Suppose we have a thin pool on top of LVM volume group. The group comprises
of several storage drives. Now I need to (physically) remove one of them.
The intention is to use pvmove and vgreduce, but obviously thin pool must
be requested to shrink itself at first.

Btw, Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt still has a leftover
about it:

> If you wish to reduce the size of your thin device and potentially
> regain some space then send the 'trim' message to the pool.

Thanks,
Maxim