[dm-devel] Dumb question; please help

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Thu May 7 18:04:33 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Locane <locane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I apologize in advance for asking this question, but I can't seem
> to find the information in documentation or anything online.
>
> Short explanation:
>
> - I have a CentOS 6.6 LiveCD that is dying after lots of file system thrash
> - I use "dmsetup status" to check on when it's dying
> - I don't know what the numbers in "dmsetup status" represent - they're
> not labeled
>
> Can anyone answer this question
> <http://superuser.com/questions/900783/dmsetup-status-fields-explained> or
> label the following fields for me and explain what they are?
>
> [root at localhost ~]# dmsetup status
> live-osimg-min: 0 4194304 snapshot 1272/1272 16
> live-rw: 0 4194304 snapshot 7568/1048576 40
>
> What are the <number>/<number>s?  What is the 2 digit number following
> them?

<sectors_allocated>/<total_sectors> <metadata_sectors>
​

> My LiveCD dies when the 7568 number in this example gets to the (I assume
> gibabyte) 1048576 number.  Can I increase this base size?

​With​

​recent dracut versions, there are startup options, rd.live.overlay.size
and rd.writable.fsimg​, that may be considered.

See
http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/dracut/dracut.git;a=blob;f=modules.d/90dmsquash-live/dmsquash-live-root.sh;hb=HEAD

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveOS_image may also be helpful.

        --Fred