[dm-devel] AMD-Vi IO_PAGE_FAULTs and ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED errors since Linux 4.0

Andreas Hartmann andihartmann at freenet.de
Thu Oct 8 19:47:28 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 at 08:59 PM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 at 07:30 PM Joerg Roedel wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 07:02:32PM +0200, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>> Binding the device to vfio isn't a problem (it's done before the vm is
>>> started). The problem occurs during start of qemu-system-x86_64 (2.3.0).
>>>
>>> The attached dmesg.out doesn't show the trace, but the desired iommu dump.

>>> See attached ath9k.device.
>>
>> Hmm, can you also test this again with the v4.3-rc4 please? The device
>> you are attaching has its own group and no aliases, so I really can't
>> see how the trace could happen, and I can't reproduce it here either.
>
> Unchanged - this time hard locked machine and no trace at all because of
> data loss after reboot :-(.
>
> Btw: Linux 4.2 doesn't show this problem.
>
> Nevertheless I'll try to get a trace - maybe I'm lucky and the machine
> doesn't lock up completely another time :-).

Got it. I attached the complete oops and the output of objdump.

Kernel was linux 4.3-rc4

This time, the oops was caused by the second PCI card I'm passing
through to another VM (the ath9k card worked fine this time - chance?).
I added the lspci output to the attached file, too.

Thanks,
regards,
Andreas