[dm-devel] AMD-Vi IO_PAGE_FAULTs and ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED errors since Linux 4.0

Andreas Hartmann andihartmann at freenet.de
Fri Oct 9 05:20:38 UTC 2015

On 10/08/2015 at 09:52 PM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> On 10/08/2015 at 08:21 PM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, I spent the day on that problem, and managed to reproduce it here
>>> on one of my AMD IOMMU boxes. I wasn't an easy journey, as I can only
>>> reproduce it if I setup the crypto partition and everything above that
>>> (like mounting the lvm volumes) _after_ the system has finished booting.
>>> If everything is setup during system boot it works fine and I don't see
>>> any IO_PAGE_FAULTS.
>>
>> Thank you very much for spending so much of your time to reproduce the
>> problem!
>>
>>> I also tried kernel v4.3-rc4 first, to have it tested with a
>>> self-compiled kernel. It didn't show up there, so I built a 4.1.0, where
>>> it showed up again. Something seems to have fixed the issue in the
>>> latest kernels.
>>>
>>> So I looked a little bit around at the commits that were merged into the
>>> respective parts involved here, and found this one:
>>>
>>>     586b286 dm crypt: constrain crypt device's max_segment_size to
>>> PAGE_SIZE
>>>
>>> The problem fixed with this commit looks quite similar to what you have
>>> seen (execpt that there was no IOMMU involved). So I cherry-picked that
>>> commit on 4.1.0 and tested that. The problem was gone.
>>
>> That's true - I already knew this patch and tested it some weeks ago -
>> unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem here.
>>
>> To be really sure, I just retested it now again. I couldn't see any
>> IO_PAGE_FAULTS errors today (unfortunately I can't remember anymore if I
>> didn't see them too a few weeks ago) - but the ata errors remain.
>> Therefore, this patch isn't a solution for the problem I encounter here.
>>
>>> So it looks like it was a dm-crypt issue, the patch went into v4.3-rc3,
>>> either this kernel of rc4 should fix the problem for you too. Can you
>>> please verify this is fixed for you too with v4.3-rc4?
>>
>> As I already wrote, I even couldn't see the problem with v4.3-rc2 any
>> more (as far as I was able to test because of the other problem). I have
>> to do some more tests now with this kernel to be really sure.
>
> I now tested w/ v4.3-rc4. I couldn't see any IO_PAGE_FAULTS but the ata
> errors remain. The ata errors can be easily activated by copying a large
> file (> 4 GB) from one partition on the raid to another partition on the
> raid.

Hmmm, I retested this morning w/ v4.3-rc4 and 4.1.10 (with the above
mentioned patch applied) - and now, I didn't get any more ata errors.

I'm confused now. The only difference between yesterday evening and this
morning was, that the machine was over night completely powerless (via
socket outlet switch). Could this really be the reason? Let's wait and
see if this is a persistent state ... .

But the other new error w/ 4.3-rc-2 or 4 while starting a VM with PCI
passthrough remains even this morning :-(. Would have been nice if it
would have gone over night, too ...

Thanks,
regards,
Andreas