[dm-devel] [Lsf] Notes from the four separate IO track sessions at LSF/MM

Laurence Oberman loberman at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:23:44 UTC 2016

Hello Folks,

We still suffer from periodic complaints in our large customer base regarding the long recovery times for dm-multipath.
Most of the time this is when we have something like a switch back-plane issue or an issue where RSCN'S are blocked coming back up the fabric.
Corner cases still bite us often.

Most of the complaints originate from customers for example seeing Oracle cluster evictions where during the waiting on the mid-layer all mpath I/O is blocked until recovery.

We have to tune eh_deadline, eh_timeout and fast_io_fail_tmo but even tuning those we have to wait on serial recovery even if we set the timeouts low.

Lately we have been living with
eh_deadline=10
eh_timeout=5
fast_fail_io_tmo=10
leaving default sd timeout at 30s

So this continues to be an issue and I have specific examples using the jammer I can provide showing the serial recovery times here.

Thanks

Laurence Oberman
Principal Software Maintenance Engineer
Red Hat Global Support Services