[dm-devel] dm-cache issue

Teodor Milkov tm at del.bg
Fri Dec 2 19:49:19 UTC 2016

So, I ended up with the following setup:

  * Modified /etc/init.d/lvm2 to explicitly deactivate logical volumes:
    /lvm lvchange -a n --select name=~.*/
      o Create////lvm2-clean-shutdown /if deactivation is successful.//
  * Turn off automatic LV activation by
    setting///auto_activation_volume_list=[]/ in //etc/lvm/lvm.conf/
  * Try to activate LVs later in the boot only
    if//////lvm2-clean-shutdown /exists.//

This way I have the chance to try manual activation of the volumes in
the case of unclean shutdown, or eventually uncache and recreate caches
if flush/refresh appears to take too much time.

One strange thing is that while testing I forgot to set
/auto_activation_volume_list=[] /and//boot process got stuck at an very
early stage – probably at udev activating lvm //(////sbin/lvm pvscan
--cache --activate ay/ from //lib/udev/rules.d/69-lvm-metad.rules)./// I
waited for about five minutes but it didn't look like it's going to
finish anytime soon, and I had no tty (too early in the boot), so I did
reboot with a rescue CD and turned off LV auto activation in lvm.conf.
This time the system came up quickly and the odd thing is that manual
/lvchange -ay/ was pretty fast - less that a minute for all 12 × 60GB
caches. So, maybe there's a bug in /udev/pvscan --activate/?

Anyway, the above setup seems to work well for me, so I'm sticking with
it for the time being.

Best regards,
Teodor