[dm-devel] Occasional dmsetup resume lockups

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 21:26:40 UTC 2016

Dne 11.2.2016 v 21:47 Richard Davies napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> We have been seeing occasional "dmsetup resume" lockups on a variety of
> kernels when swapping tables.
>
> I am wondering if we are making a simple scripting mistake
> (e.g. we do not run "dmsetup suspend", but my impression is that the need
> for this was replaced by INACTIVE tables?)
>
> Alternatively, what can we do to help debug this further, please?

There could be number of reasons - but since you mention you operate
with life device -  aren't you actually running your 'dmsetup
from a device you manipulate with - aka your root volume ?

lvm2 locks itself into memory to avoid any page swapping issues.

You could also try debugging kernel on serial console with sysrq+t
to see what's get blocked on disk access.

Regards

Zdenek