[dm-devel] Never mind (was [RFC] zodcache - auto-start dm-cache devices)

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 15:49:21 UTC 2016

On 01/04/2016 09:52 AM, Joe Thornber wrote:
> I looked through the code and thought this was a good tool that does
> something that LVM currently doesn't support very well.

Well now I'm totally confused.

The feedback I received when I initially posted this led me to believe
that there was zero (or less) interest in a non-LVM interface to
dm-cache.  That was the reason that I initially pulled the repo, since
I didn't want someone to stumble upon it and unknowingly trust their
data to something that is essentially an unsupported dead end.

(It's back up by the way, with warnings that I hope are sufficiently
strong -- https://github.com/ipilcher/zodcache.)

So I'm back to the question that I asked in my original note ... Is this
approach (i.e. not LVM cache but more "bcache-like" for lack of a
better term) something that is worth pursuing?

If so, I'm happy to fix/enhance/maintain this code going forward, and I
hope that this community will be willing to provide suggestions, answer
the odd question, etc.