[dm-devel] dm-cache + storage client experiment

mlody3k . mlody3k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:01:24 UTC 2016

Hi dm developers!

I'm during the experiment with dm-cache and storage client and I would be
very grateful if some of You will help me with some of my questions :).

Simply, I would like to implement the write-through caching in the client
where:
 - dm-cache is only responsible to check whether requested data is in the
cache device (return requested data if hit, ENODATA if miss - do not read
from origin) - in case of miss, my client will read data from the origin.
 - dm-cache will write only to the cache device - client will write data to
the origin.

Easily, I need to start dm-cache in writethrough mode without determining
the origin device. More specifically, I need to make two changes in dm code:
 - Bypass the origin device while writing data
 - Do not remap the result to the origin device in case of read miss.

So here's my questions:
 - Do the similar solution exists?
 - Do I have to change the policy code or maybe all of this things are
contained in the target code?
 - Could someone reproduce the IO path in dm-cache code?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
JJ