[dm-devel] I/O block when removing thin device on the same pool

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 22 16:07:20 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22 2016 at  8:58am -0500,
Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac at redhat.com> wrote:

> >>Just so I'm aware: which kernel are you using?
> >>
> >>dm_pool_delete_thin_device() takes pmd->root_lock so yes it is very
> >>coarse-grained; especially when you consider concurrent IO to another
> >>thin device from the same pool will call interfaces, like
> >>dm_thin_find_block(), which also take the same pmd->root_lock.
> >
> >We have seen lvremove of thin snapshots sometimes minutes,
> >even ~20 minutes before.
> >So that means blocking IO to other devices in that pool
> >(e.g. the typically currently in-use "origin") for minutes.
> >
> >That was, iirc, with ~10 TB origin, mostly allocated,
> >tens of "rotating" snapshots, 64k chunk size,
> >and considerable random write change rate on the origin.
> >
> >I'd like to propose a different approach for lvremove of thin devices
> >(using "made up terms" instead of the correct device mapper vocabulary,
> >because I'm lazy):
> >on lvremove of a thin device, take all the locks you need,
> >even if that implies blocking IO to other devices,
> >BUT
> >then don't do all the "delete" right there while holding those
> >locks, but convert the device into a "i-am-currently-removing-myself"
> >target, and release all the locks. That should be fast (enough).
> >
> >Then this "i-am-currently-removing-myself" target would have its .open()
> >return some error, so it cannot even be opened anymore (or something
> >with similar effect), start some kernel thread that does the actual
> >"wipe" and "unref/unmap" from the tree and all that stuff "in the
> >background", using much finer granular temporary locking for each
> >processed region.
> >
> >If that then takes 20 minutes, someone may still care, but at least it
> >does not block IO to the other active devices in the pool.
> >
> >Or is something like this already going on?

Nothing is going on yet but I'll work with Joe on how to skin this cat.

> Hi
>
> Please always specify kernel in-use.
> Eventually retry with last officially released one (e.g. 4.4)
> There were number of improvements in speed of discard.
>
> Also - you may try to use thin-pool with '--discards  nopassdown'
> (or even ignore) in case TRIM is very limiting factor
> (with impacting free space in thin-pool for 'ignore' one)

discard isn't the same as device delete.  I guess you're proposing
discarding the thin device with something like blkdiscard before
deleting the device (like someone else in this thread has already tired,
though not clear they were using the latest thinp discard advances).

In any case, these hacks are unfortunate and I'm going to make fixing
this coarse-grained locking a priority.