[dm-devel] LVM thin provisioning actual status

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 13:33:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 25 2016 at  8:45am -0500,
Никифоров Руслан <nikiforovr at ideco.ru> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I would like to know actual status of LVM thin provisioning.
> I can see warning about experimental status in documentation (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/thin-provisioning.txt)

The documentation is stale.  I'll get it cleaned up to reflect the fact
that thinp is now believed to be stable.  It has seen increased
deployment in production with favorable results.

> and what i'm trying to understand now is what problems i may face
> using thin provisioning.
> Are there any stability or data corruption problems?

No.

> Is it stable and reliable nowadays?

Yes.

> May be its unstable in some specific situations?

Not that we're aware of.  There is always room for performance
optimizations but there aren't any known bugs at this time.

Mike