[dm-devel] [LSF/MM ATTEND] multipath redesign and dm blk-mq issues

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 01:33:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 05:37:33PM -0500, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28 2016 at  4:23pm -0500,
> Benjamin Marzinski <bmarzins at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to attend LSF/MM 2016 to participate in any discussions about
> > redesigning how device-mapper multipath operates. I spend a significant
> > chunk of time dealing with issues around multipath and I'd like to
> > be part of any discussion about redesigning it.
> >
> > In addition, I'd be interesting in disucssions that deal with how
> > device-mapper targets are dealing with blk-mq in general.  For instance,
> > it looks like the current dm-multipath blk-mq implementation is running
> > into performance bottlenecks, and changing how path selection works into
> > something that allows for more parallelism is a worthy discussion.
>
> At this point this isn't the sexy topic we'd like it to be -- not too
> sure how a 30 minute session on this will go.  The devil is really in
> the details.  Hopefully we can have more details once LSF rolls around
> to make an in-person discussion productive.
>
> I've spent the past few days working on this and while there are
> certainly various questions it is pretty clear that DM multipath's
> m->lock (spinlock) is really _not_ a big bottleneck.  It is an obvious
> one for sure, but I removed the spinlock entirely (debug only) and then
> the 'perf report -g' was completely benign -- no obvious bottlenecks.
> Yet DM mpath performance on a really fast null_blk device, ~1850K read
> IOPs, was still only ~950K -- as Jens rightly pointed out to me today:
>
> "sure, it's slower but taking a step back, it's about making sure we
> have a pretty low overhead, so actual application workloads don't spend
> a lot of time in the kernel
>
> ~1M IOPS is a _lot_".
>
> But even still, DM mpath is dropping 50% of potential IOPs on the floor.
> There must be something inherently limiting in all the extra work done
> to: 1) stack blk-mq devices (2 completely different sw -> hw mappings)
> 2) clone top-level blk-mq requests for submission on the underlying
> blk-mq paths.
>
> Anyway, my goal is to have my contribution to this LSF session be all
> about what was wrong and how it has been fixed ;)
>
> But given how much harder analyzing this problem has become I'm less
> encouraged I'll be able to do so.
>
> > But it would also be worth looking into changes about how the dm blk-mq
> > impementation deals with the mapping between it's swqueues and
> > hwqueue(s). Right now all the dm mapping is done in .queue_rq, instead
> > of in .map_queue, but I'm not convinced it belongs there.
>
> blk-mq's .queue_rq hook is the logical place to do the mpath mapping, as
> it deals with getting a request from the underlying paths.
>
> blk-mq's .map_queue is all about mapping sw to hw queues.  It is very
> blk-mq specific and isn't something DM has a roll in -- cannot yet see
> why it'd need to.

At the moment, we only have one hwqueue.  But we could have one hwqueue
per path. Then queue_rq would just be in charge of handing the requst
down to the underlying device.  In that setup, instead using a default
mapping of all swqueues to one hwqueue in .map_queue, we would be
mapping to the hardware queue for the path.  I'd have to look through
the blk-mq code more to know if one of these methods has an obvious
advantage, but it seems like this way, if different cpus were using
different paths (with the per-cpu load-balancing), you wouldn't
constantly be accessing the hwqueue from different cpus. Although I
suppose you may do better just by leaving multipath_map where it is now,
and just adjusting the number of hardware queues. Speaking of which,
have you tried fiddling around with that in your tests?

> > There's also the issue that the bio targets may scale better on blk-mq
> > devices than the blk-mq targets.
>
> Why is that surprising?  request-based DM (and block core) has quite a
> bit more work that it does.
>
> bio-based DM targets take a ~20% IOPs hit, whereas blk-mq request-based
> DM takes a ~50% hit.  I'd _love_ for request-based DM to get to only a
> ~20% hit.  (And for the bio-based 20% hit to be reduced further).

Right. But like I said in an earlier email, if bio-based mpath would
give us better performance on this class of devices, then all the blk-mq
performance work helps both multipath and the other targets. I realize
that bio based multipath had issues other than simply IO performance
that caused us to switch, like a lack of good error information.  But if
the performance gap between request-based and bio-based dm persists for
blk-mq devices (even assuming both improve), then we should at least
revist the issues with bio-based multipath to see which set of problems
looks easiest to tackle.

-Ben