[dm-devel] [4.7.0rc6] Page Allocation Failures with dm-crypt

Matthias Dahl ml_linux-kernel at binary-island.eu
Sat Jul 9 13:40:52 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am currently setting up a new machine (since my old one broke down)
and I ran into a lot of " Unable to allocate memory on node -1" warnings
while using dm-crypt. I have attached as much of the full log as I could
recover.

The encrypted device is sitting on a RAID10 (software raid, Intel Rapid
Storage). Kernel is 4.7.0rc6 as released.

Steps to reproduce are:

1)
cryptsetup -s 512 -d /dev/urandom -c aes-xts-plain64 open --type plain
/dev/md126p5 test-device

2)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mapper/test-device status=progress bs=512K

While running, there are several allocation failure warnings issued to
the log. Doing the same on the device w/o dm-crypt in-between does not
cause any such warnings.

The machine did not crash or hang but the OOM killer got involved. With
that much of RAM and that very simple task, that should never have
happened
in the first place, imho.

I tested all of this on a Fedora Rawhide Live Image as I currently still
am
in the process of setting the new machine up. Those images are available
here to download:

download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

The machine itself has 32 GiB of RAM (plenty), no swap (live image) and
is a 6700k on a Z170 chipset. The kernel, like I said, is the default
provided with the live image -- and in the version I tested, it was
the released 4.7.0rc6. No other tasks were running, except for the
usual.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Also, since I am not subscribed to the lists right now (I have to make
due
with a crappy WebMail interface until everything is setup), please cc'
me
accordingly. Thanks a lot.

With Kind Regards from Germany,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
  services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration