[dm-devel] pvmove/mirror target mirroring data between two devices with different sector size

NeilBrown neilb at suse.com
Thu Mar 31 02:09:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 28 2016, Liuhua Wang wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I have a question that I think maybe you can give me some idea.
>
> I have two devices with different sector size: 512B and 4096B.
>
> - SOURCE DEVICE (mdos lvm partiton)
> #parted /dev/sdb
> Model: ATA SATADOM-SL 3ME (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 32.0GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
> (In `parted` Sector size are both got from IOCTL(BLKSSZGET))
>
> - TARGET DEVICE (WHOLE DISK)
> #parted /dev/sdc
> Error: /dev/sdd: unrecognised disk label
> Model: ATA HUH728080ALN600 (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdd: 8002GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
> Partition Table: unknown
>
> I want to move data from one device to the other using lvm command
> `pvmove`, but after pvmove, file system cannot mount.

This seems to raise questions that you could easily answer:
1/ what filesystem.  What error when mounting?
2/ Is the data exactly the same after the move. e.g does
  sh1sum of the old and new device report the same content?
  If not, what about sha1sum of the first 10Gig? The first Gig?
  100K? 16K? 1K? ...
  i.e. if there is a difference, where is the first difference?

NeilBrown