[dm-devel] Improve processing efficiency for addition and deletion of multipath devices

tang.junhui at zte.com.cn tang.junhui at zte.com.cn
Fri Nov 18 01:02:30 UTC 2016

Hi Martin,

For your opinion:

>  My "filtering" idea was meant for cases where several events
>  for the same device are queued, e.g

>  1) add sda
>  2) change sda
>  3) delete sda

>Is it always sufficient to look only at the last event in such a case?

I do not agree with you. The reasons are as follows:

1) It’s risky to filter uevents like that, a SCSI device has been
generated,
   May be its life time is very short, but we cannot turn a blind eye on
it,
   the system or applications may need multipath device of the SCSI
device.

2) This scenario you mentioned rarely happens, we are more concerned
   about the more common situation like addition or deletion devices when
   iSCSI login/logout or FC link up/down with many iSCSI or FC links in
   each LUN. At this situation we may receive many uevents from different
   paths of the same LUN device, we want merge these uevents to one and
   process them together.

Regards,
Tang