[dm-devel] [Report] crash tool cannot resolve struct dm_table properly

Steffen Maier maier at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 13 10:22:08 UTC 2017

On 04/13/2017 04:01 AM, Eric Ren wrote:
> Hi Mikulas,
>
> When inspecting on coredump with crash tool, I find that 'dm_table'
> cannot be resolved properly as follows:
>
> ===
> crash> struct dm_table
> struct dm_table {
>     int undefined__;
> }
> SIZE: 4
> ===
>
> Looks this issue is introduced by 83d5e5b (dm: optimize use SRCU and
> RCU) with this code:
> ===
> +/*
> + * A dummy definition to make RCU happy.
> + * struct dm_table should never be dereferenced in this file.
>  + */ +struct dm_table {
> + int undefined__;
> +};
> +
> ===
>
> It stops me from looking into dm_table when analyzing coredump. Is there
> any workaround?
> or can be fixed somehow?

Does this help somewhat?:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/dm-devel/2015-December/msg00042.html

As workaround for eppic scripts in crash, we currently re-define struct
dm_table in eppic scripts, because "set scope dm_table_create" has not
always worked as we liked. Sometimes "whatis dm_table_create" and again
"set scope dm_table_create" worked and we put this in .crashrc, but
eventually gave up and kept our struct re-define.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Steffen Maier

Linux on z Systems Development

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen