[dm-devel] [git pull] device mapper fixes for 4.10-rc7

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 20:48:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, Feb 03 2017 at  7:18pm -0500,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git dm-4.10-fixes
>
> Hmm.
>
>    "fatal: Couldn't find remote ref dm-4.10-fixes"
>
> Forgot to push?  And why didn't git pull-request warn about it? Have
> you cooked up your own broken script for this?

I did forget to push, sorry about that, now pushed.

As for why git-request-pull didn't warn.  I used this commandline:
git request-pull v4.10-rc6 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git dm-4.10-fixes | tee dm-4.10-fixes-pull.txt

I just did a test with a local dm-4.10-test tag that I didn't push and
sure enough I _do_ get a warning.  But that warning went to stderr and
I just missed it.  I'll improve my workflow to check the error code of
the git-request-pull first. And then re-run to output to a text file.

> There is a "dm-4.10" branch with that commit, but iirc you usually
> have signed tags so I suspect it really is a missed push, not a wrong
> name.

Right, just missed the push, I always do signed tags.

Thanks,
Mike