[dm-devel] deterministic io throughput in multipath

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 17:12:00 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 09:42:48AM +0000, Muneendra Kumar M wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> If there are two paths on a dm-1 say sda and sdb as below.
>
> #  multipath -ll
> 	mpathd (3600110d001ee7f0102050001cc0b6751) dm-1 SANBlaze,VLUN MyLun
> 	size=8.0M features='0' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
> 	`-+- policy='round-robin 0' prio=50 status=active
> 	  |- 8:0:1:0  sda 8:48 active ready  running
> 	  `- 9:0:1:0  sdb 8:64 active ready  running
>
> And on sda if iam seeing lot of errors due to which the sda path is fluctuating from failed state to active state and vicevera.
>
> My requirement is something like this if sda is failed for more then 5 times in a hour duration ,then I want to keep the sda in failed state for few hours (3hrs)
>
> And the data should travel only thorugh sdb path.
> Will this be possible with the below parameters.

No. delay_watch_checks sets how may path checks you watch a path that
has recently come back from the failed state. If the path fails again
within this time, multipath device delays it.  This means that the delay
is always trigger by two failures within the time limit.  It's possible
to adapt this to count numbers of failures, and act after a certain
number within a certain timeframe, but it would take a bit more work.

delay_wait_checks doesn't guarantee that it will delay for any set
length of time.  Instead, it sets the number of consecutive successful
path checks that must occur before the path is usable again. You could
set this for 3 hours of path checks, but if a check failed during this
time, you would restart the 3 hours over again.

-Ben