[dm-devel] trouble with generic/081

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 18:52:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 05 2017 at  1:24pm -0500,
Eric Sandeen <sandeen at sandeen.net> wrote:

> Upstream now has better xfs error handling configurability.  Have you
> tested with that?  (for that matter, what thinp test framework exists
> on the lvm2/dm side?  We currently have only minimal testing fstests,
> to be honest.  Until we have a framework to test against this seems likely
> to continue going in theoretical circles.)

device-mapper-test-suite (dmts) has various thinp out of space tests,
e.g.:

# dmtest run --suite thin-provisioning -n /out_of_*space/
Loaded suite thin-provisioning
DeletionTests
  delete_after_out_of_space...PASS
DiscardSlowTests
  discard_after_out_of_space...PASS

# dmtest run --suite thin-provisioning -t PoolResizeWhenOutOfSpaceTests
Loaded suite thin-provisioning
PoolResizeWhenOutOfSpaceTests
  io_to_provisioned_region_with_OODS_held_io...PASS
  out_of_data_space_errors_immediately_if_requested...PASS
  out_of_data_space_times_out...PASS
  resize_after_OODS_error_immediately...PASS
  resize_after_OODS_held_io...PASS
  resize_after_OODS_held_io_ext4...#<Test::Unit::Error:0x00000003746d48
 @exception=
  #<ProcessControl::ExitError: command failed: fsck.ext4 -fn /dev/mapper/test-dev-60498>,
 @test_name=
  "test_resize_after_OODS_held_io_ext4(PoolResizeWhenOutOfSpaceTests)">
FAIL
  resize_after_OODS_held_io_preload...PASS
  resize_after_OODS_held_io_timed_out_preload...PASS
  resize_io...PASS

I need to look closer at the 'resize_after_OODS_held_io_ext4' FAIL,
after initial look the dmts test code seems to be buggy.

But we can easily extend to have specific coverage with XFS ontop.