[dm-devel] trouble with generic/081

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Jan 9 14:22:00 UTC 2017

Dne 9.1.2017 v 14:39 Christoph Hellwig napsal(a):
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 09:46:00AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> And my 2c worth on the "lvm unmounting filesystems on error" - stop
>> it, now. It's the wrong thing to do, and it makes it impossible for
>> filesystems to handle the error and recover gracefully when
>> possible.
>
> It's causing way more harm than it helps due to the namespace
> implications.  And we'll have to fix it in the FS for real because
> other storage can run out of space as well.

Hi

I can be blind but I still miss some simple things here -

lvm2 will initiate lazy umount of ALL thin devices from a thin-pool
when it gets about 95% fullness  (so it's a bit sooner then 100%
with still some 5% 'free-space'.

This should mostly trigger flushing as much dirty stuff on disk - possibly
causing even 100% fullness (which is not wanted but unavoidable with todays
RAM and sizes).

So now - filesystem gets into position of  having ENOSP errors.

I'd expect  XFS switches off  (xfs_shutdown) on this condition.

So it should get into EXACT same state as  is advocated here - do nothing case
- without invoking 'lazy umount' but significantly later
(so IMHO causing possibly more damage to a user).

So is  'XFS  incapable to handle lazy umount at all in such conditions ?

I really would like to first understand why there is such big hallo effect
around this - since in my eyes -  lvm2 was designed to operated within
threshold bounds - if the thin-pool volume is out of configured  bounds, lvm2
is not capable to deliver (resize) more space and it's trying to simply stop
further operations - so disruption of work was 'intended'.

What I'm getting from this thread is -   this is unwanted and user wish to
continue use thin-pool further with possible damages to their data set - and
lvm2 WILL provide configurable settings for this.

I'm not disputing this part AT ALL  - just to make it really clear.

But could anyone from XFS specify -  why  umount is causing some 'more'
damage, then  no umount at all ?

With my naive thinking - I'd just assume I hit 'xfs_shutdown' rather earlier.
Is xfs refusing to umount 'erroring' device ?

Also please note - since its mentioned namespaces here - if this is something
Docker related - be aware for Docker thins  - lvm2 for awhile is leaving such
volumes intact already (-> no umount for docker thins volume).

Regards

Zdenek