[dm-devel] [LSF/MM TOPIC][LSF/MM ATTEND] multipath redesign

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 16:07:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 13 2017 at 10:56am -0500,
Hannes Reinecke <hare at suse.de> wrote:

> On 01/12/2017 06:29 PM, Benjamin Marzinski wrote:

> >> Yeah, I know.
> >>
> >> But I've stared long and hard at the code, and found some issues really hard
> >> to overcome. Even more so as most things it does are really pointless.
> >>
> >> multipathd _insists_ on redoing the _entire_ device layout for basically any
> >> operation (except for path checking).
> >> As the data structures allow only for a single setup it uses a lock per
> >> multipath device to protect against concurrent changes.
> >> When lots of uevents are to be processed this lock is heavily contended,
> >> leading to a slow-down of uevent processing.
> >> (cf the patchseries from Tang Junhui and my earlier pathset for
> >> lock pushdown)
> >>
> >> I've tried to move that lock down even further with distinct locks for
> >> device paths and multipath devices, but ultimately failed as it would amount
> >> to essentially a rewrite of the core engine.
> >
> > The multipath user-space tools locking IS horrible and touches
> > everything.  I could never see a way around it that didn't involve
> > a ground-up redesign.
> >
> :-)

> >> Ah. And I thought you disliked request-based multipathing ...
> >>
> >> It's not _actually_ the DM interface which I'm objecting to, it's more the
> >> user-space implementation.
> >> The daemon is build around some design decisions which are simply not
> >> applicable anymore:
> >> - we now _do_ have reliable device identifications, so the the 'path_id'
> >> functionality is pointless.
> >
> > This could be largely fixed in the existing code. The route that the
> > latest patch from Tang Junhui are going still grabs the wwid if we got
> > it from the uevent, but it isn't necesary, as long was we're careful.
> > Currently rbd devices don't get their wwid from the uevent but all other
> > devices do. It would probably be possible to write an rbd device udev
> > rule to set a variable so that they can work through udev environment
> > variables too.
> >
> But this is still only working around the problem.
> We only should need to touch the device-mapper tables when setting up
> devices or during reconfiguration.
>
> >> - The 'alua' device handler also provides you with reliable priority
> >> information, so it should be possible to do away with the 'prio' setting,
> >> too.
> >
> > But this isn't true for all devices. Also, Like I mentioned last year
> > when this got brought up, no matter how we group the paths, there end up
> > being users that have good reasons why they want them grouped
> > differently in their case.  The path priority/grouping seems like one
> > place where evidence has shown that we should give users the tools to
> > make policy decisions, instead of making them ourselves.
> >
> >> - And for (most) SCSI devices the 'state' setting provides a reliable
> >> indicator if the device is useable.
> >
> > This is also not true for all devices.
> >
> So? The 'state' attribute reflects the internal SCSI device state.
> [...]

I welcome your work.  Should help us focus on what fat needs to be
trimmed from both multipath-tools and kernel.

Might be a good time to branch multipath-tools and get very aggressive
with trimming stuff that is outdated.

Things like the event stuff, using select interface, that Andy Grover is
working on (and Mikulas is taking a stab at finishing/optimizing) is
something that might help... but your approach described in this thread
may prove better.

Point is, everything should be on the table for revitalizing multipath
userspace (and kernel) to meet new requirements (e.g. NVMEoF, etc).

And yes, I'd prefer to ultimately see these advances land in terms of DM
multipath advances but we'll take it as it comes.