[dm-devel] [DRAFT] Snapshot boot design document

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Jun 8 14:34:10 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 10:17:05AM +0200, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 07, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> One more: please don't forget read-only root filesystems with all of
> your designs. btrfs snapshots are read-only, so if you boot an old
> snapshot, you have a read-only root filesystem.
> And if you play with transactional updates by snapshots and rollback,
> you will really like read-only root filesystems.

Good point again, thanks. Coming from a device-mapper and LVM2 background
that's my natural priority, but we are very clear that we want to create
a solution that will work for the full range of snapshot techniques now
available on Linux (including potentially ZFS although it's not a high
priority, simply due to how few distributions ship it).

Regards,
Bryn.