[dm-devel] [RFC] dm-thin: Heuristic early chunk copy before COW

Joe Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Thu Mar 9 11:51:43 UTC 2017

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Mar 08, 2017 at 10:17:51AM -0800, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For dm-thin volumes that are snapshotted often, there is a performance
> penalty for writes because of COW overhead since the modified chunk needs
> to be copied into a freshly allocated chunk.
>
> What if we were to implement some sort of LRU for COW operations on
> chunks? We could then queue chunks that are commonly COWed within the
> inter-snapshot interval to be background copied immediately after the next
> snapshot. This would hide the latency and increase effective throughput
> when the thin device is written by its user since only the meta data would
> need an update because the chunk has already been copied.
>
> I can imagine a simple algorithm where the COW increments the chunk LRU by
> 2, and decrements the LRU by 1 for all stored LRUs when the volume is
> snapshotted. After the snapshot, any LRU>0 would be queued for early copy.
>
> The LRU would be in memory only, probably stored in a red/black tree.
> Pre-copied chunks would not update on-disk meta data unless a write occurs
> to that chunk. The allocator would need to be updated to ignore chunks
> that are in the LRU list which have been pre-copied (perhaps except in the
> case of pool free space exhaustion).
>
> Does this sound viable?

Yes, I can see that it would benefit some people, and presumably we'd
only turn it on for those people.  Random thoughts:

- I'm doing a lot of background work in the latest version of dm-cache
  in idle periods and it certainly pays off.

- There can be a *lot* of chunks, so holding a counter for all chunks in
  memory is not on.  (See the hassle I had squeezing stuff into memory
  of dm-cache).

- Commonly cloned blocks can be gleaned from the metadata.  eg, by
  walking the metadata for two snapshots and taking the common ones.
  It might be possible to come up with a 'commonly used set' once, and
  then keep using it for all future snaps.

- Doing speculative work like this makes it harder to predict
  performance.  At the moment any expense (ie. copy) is incurred
  immediately as the triggering write comes in.

- Could this be done from userland?  Metadata snapshots let userland see
  the mappings, alternatively dm-era let's userland track where io has
  gone.  A simple read then write of a block would trigger the sharing
  to be broken.

- Joe