[dm-devel] dm-crypt: Reject sector_size feature if device length is not aligned to it

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 15:05:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 04 2017 at  2:45am -0400,
Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/03/2017 11:18 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 03 2017 at  4:33pm -0400,
> > Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I mentioned this on IRC:
> >> the only situation I care about in load is that size (dm-table length) is unaligned to optional sector_size.
> >> create fails in this case, load should imho fail as well.
> >> if we say that dmsetup table output is always directly usable (as a mapping table),
> >> then why should there be an exception for dmsetup table --inactive? (now it can print apparently invalid mapping)
> >
> > The .ctr should validate the inactive table and that'll cause load to
> > fail.
>
> And that's exactly what is the former patch doing - we introduced a new parameter that
> has new limitations, we should fix constructor. That's all I want :-)

Yeap, I've staged your fix.. enough with all this debate.
See: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git/commit/?h=for-4.14/dm&id=783874b050768d361239e444ba0fa396bb6d463f

(but yes I read your "rant".. I agreed with all you said.. but it lacked
the qualities of a flaming rant.. you must be happier ;)