[dm-devel] slab: introduce the flag SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 14:27:04 UTC 2018

On Mon, Apr 16 2018 at  8:38am -0400,
Vlastimil Babka <vbabka at suse.cz> wrote:

> On 04/13/2018 05:10 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 13 2018 at  5:22am -0400,
> > Vlastimil Babka <vbabka at suse.cz> wrote:
> >>
> >> Would this perhaps be a good LSF/MM discussion topic? Mikulas, are you
> >> attending, or anyone else that can vouch for your usecase?
> >
> > Any further discussion on SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE should continue on list.
> >
> > Mikulas won't be at LSF/MM.  But I included Mikulas' dm-bufio changes
> > that no longer depend on this proposed SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE (as part of
> > the 4.17 merge window).
>
> Can you or Mikulas briefly summarize how the dependency is avoided, and
> whether if (something like) SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE were implemented, the
> dm-bufio code would happily switch to it, or not?

git log eeb67a0ba04df^..45354f1eb67224669a1 -- drivers/md/dm-bufio.c

But the most signficant commit relative to SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE is:
359dbf19ab524652a2208a2a2cddccec2eede2ad ("dm bufio: use slab cache for dm_buffer structure allocations")

So no, I don't see why dm-bufio would need to switch to
SLAB_MINIMIZE_WASTE if it were introduced in the future.

Mike