[dm-devel] [git pull] device mapper changes for 4.19

Mikulas Patocka mpatocka at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 20:04:16 UTC 2018

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> This is only very weakly related to this pull request, but when I look
> at the diffstat, I note that outside of the Documentation changes, it
> looks like this:
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >  drivers/md/dm-cache-metadata.c                    |  13 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-cache-target.c                      |  35 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-crypt.c                             |  66 ++-
> >  drivers/md/dm-delay.c                             | 249 +++++------
> >  drivers/md/dm-integrity.c                         | 501 ++++++++++++++++++----
> >  drivers/md/dm-kcopyd.c                            |  18 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-raid1.c                             |  17 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-snap.c                              |  41 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-thin.c                              |  31 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-writecache.c                        |   8 +-
> >  drivers/md/dm-zoned-reclaim.c                     |   6 +-
> >  include/linux/dm-kcopyd.h                         |  12 +-
>
> and what stands out to me is that "include/linux/" file.
>
> It turns out that I don't think it should be in include/linux/ at all,
> because it seems entirely internal to drivers/md.

dm-kcopyd.h (and dm-io.h and dm-bufio.h) are not restricted to device
mapper. These subsystems were written by device mapper developers because
they needed to reuse the same functionality in multiple dm targets, but
these subsystems do not depend on device mapper functionality (with little
changes, they could be compiled independently of dm) and could be used by
any kernel code (for example filesystems).

I think that perhaps these files could be moved to some generic place like
block/lib/, so that others could start using them too.

Mikulas