[dm-devel] Snapshot target and DAX-capable devices

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Fri Aug 31 09:14:59 UTC 2018

On Thu 30-08-18 15:17:16, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz> writes:
>
> > On Tue 28-08-18 13:56:30, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> >> Commit f6e629bd237 was a nasty hack, and commit dbc626597 exposed it as
> >> such.  But commit dbc626597 has caused us to regress.. so we need to fix
> >> it.
> >>
> >> We could remove DM_TYPE_DAX_BIO_BASED completely.  But in the past I was
> >> reluctant to do so because it really is unclear how/if we can even
> >> support a device switching from DAX to non-DAX while IO is in-flight. DM
> >> supports suspending without flushing (via dmsetup suspend --noflush) and
> >> that could really be problematic if we leave DAX IO inflight and then
> >> switch the DM table such that the DM device no longer supports DAX.
> >
> > Well, changing device from DAX-capable to DAX-incapable is problematic for
> > filesystem on top of it as well. Filesystems simply don't expect this
> > feature of a device can change so they would fail in unexpected ways. Also
> > PFNs from the pmem (DAX-capable) device that are already mapped to user page
> > tables won't magically become unmapped so those processes will still have
> > DAX access to those areas of the device.
> >
> > But, if both original bdev and COW device are DAX-capable, we *should* be
> > able to support snapshotting (and refusing mixing of DAX-capable and
> > DAX-incapable devices in a snapshot is IMHO not very surprising to users).
> > When creating a snapshot of a device, we need to freeze the filesystem
> > using it. That will writeprotect all page tables so we are sure we'll get
> > page faults (and thus ->direct_access requests from DM POV) for each write
> > attempt to any mapping. Then ->direct_access method of snapshot-origin can
> > make sure to copy original contents to the COW-device before returning PFN
> > from ->direct_access. Similarly ->direct_access of COW-device can provide
> > remapped PFN so everything should work seamlessly from user POV.
>
> In your example above, if two processes have a file mapped with
> MAP_SHARED, and P1 does a store, the new contents will not be reflected
> in P2, right?.  This is different from what is expected, and different
> from what happens when the page cache is involved.
>
> I think you'd need to unmap all mappings on a CoW, whether triggered by
> a store to an existing mapping or a write(2).

Yes, you are right. For COW-device we need to unmap all DAX mappings before
doing CoW. But for snapshot-origin device, we don't need that, right? As
for that case no block actually changes location. So there notification to
DM on first write access should be enough. Am I understanding the problem
right?

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.com>