[dm-devel] Snapshot target and DAX-capable devices

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Fri Aug 31 10:01:12 UTC 2018

On Thu 30-08-18 15:44:57, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2018, Mike Snitzer wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 30 2018 at  5:30am -0400,
> > Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz> wrote:

> > > Well, changing device from DAX-capable to DAX-incapable is problematic for
> > > filesystem on top of it as well. Filesystems simply don't expect this
> > > feature of a device can change so they would fail in unexpected ways. Also
> > > PFNs from the pmem (DAX-capable) device that are already mapped to user page
> > > tables won't magically become unmapped so those processes will still have
> > > DAX access to those areas of the device.
> > >
> > > But, if both original bdev and COW device are DAX-capable, we *should* be
> > > able to support snapshotting (and refusing mixing of DAX-capable and
> > > DAX-incapable devices in a snapshot is IMHO not very surprising to users).
> > > When creating a snapshot of a device, we need to freeze the filesystem
> > > using it. That will writeprotect all page tables so we are sure we'll get
> > > page faults (and thus ->direct_access requests from DM POV) for each write
> > > attempt to any mapping. Then ->direct_access method of snapshot-origin can
> > > make sure to copy original contents to the COW-device before returning PFN
> > > from ->direct_access. Similarly ->direct_access of COW-device can provide
> > > remapped PFN so everything should work seamlessly from user POV.
> > >
> > > So something like the above would seem like the best solution from user
> > > POV.  Implementation of the above would not be completely trivial though as
> > > far as I'm looking into DM code. We'd have to implement ->direct_access
> > > paths for dm-snap and also I have a vague memory ->direct_access is not
> > > allowed to sleep these days and DM uses sleeping locks all around... Dan
> > > should know how big obstacle would it be to reintroduce the sleeping
> > > possibility (I'm not currently aware of any particular problem with that
> > > but I'm not paying close attention to those parts of NVDIMM code).
> >
> > Thanks for these details Jan.  Think Dan is on sabbatical so we'll need
> > Ross to weigh in.
> >
> > As you point out, how are the upper layers (e.g. filesystems) supposed
> > to reliably cope with this runtime switch to from DAX to non-DAX access?
> >
> > It does look like we'll need the more elaborate work you outlined
> > above.  It could be that Mikulas will have interest, DAX expertise and
> > time to do the work.
> >
> > Restating the issue: 4.18 commit dbc626597 switched
> > drivers/md/dm-table.cdevice_supports_dax() to perform a much more
> > detailed verification of the device's DAX capabilities by calling
> > bdev_dax_supported() -- which will actually issue read IO via
> > dax_direct_access() to validate the DAX support.  dm-snapshot-origin's
> > origin_direct_access() returns -EIO.  When trying to create a snapshot
> > of a DAX enabled linear device, this results in the following error:
> >   kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: can't change device type (old=4 vs new=1) after initial table load.
> >
> > This is because the active DM device's table is being switched from
> [...]

So that would be a quick way of at least somehow supporting snapshots for
dax-capable devices. Actually these "start_dax / stop_dax" functions
already exist in filesystems - they are fs_dax_get_by_bdev() and
fs_put_dax(). So by plumbing these two calls down into the block layer, you
could easily get the functionality you want. I'm fine with that as a short
term solution for the regression. Longer term I'd like to see something
like we've outlined with Dave to be implemented but obviously that's more
work and also on fs / DAX side, not only DM.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR