[dm-devel] Integrity checking fails with Atmel SHA hw accelerator enabled

Gilad Ben-Yossef gilad at benyossef.com
Fri Feb 23 08:53:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Gigi W <gigitekwork at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having some trouble using dm-verity for a squashfs root file system that
> seems to be related to the
> Atmel SHA hw accelerator in the kernel, CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_ATMEL_SHA
>
> Some info about my setup:
> * I'm using a board with a SAMA5D4 CPU.
> * I'm using Yocto rocko for building an image for that device.
>
> The idea is that Using the 4.14.14 Kernel, Integrity checking using Kernel
> crypto fails with Atmel SHA hw accelerator enabled in kernel.
> By disabling it, `CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_ATMEL_SHA=n`, and using the software
> sha256 algo, integrity checking works as expected.
> This is my kernel config [3]
>
> Using the 4.8.4 Kernel and Atmel SHA hw accelerator enabled, everything was
> ok.
>
> This is what triggers the error during verified boot:
>
> status=`veritysetup create vroot $root_dev $verity_dev --hash-offset
> $hashoffset $root_hash`
>
>     mount /dev/mapper/vroot /mnt/
>     mount_ok=`cat /proc/mounts | grep mnt`
>     if [ -z "$mount_ok" ] ; then
>         echo "Failed to mount $root_dev on mnt/"
>     else
>         echo "Switch rootfs"
>         exec switch_root -c /dev/console /mnt /sbin/init
>     fi
>
> The mount operation fails:
>
> device-mapper: verity: 179:4: metadata block 2 is corrupted
> EXT4-fs (dm-0): unable to read superblock
> device-mapper: verity: 179:4: metadata block 2 is corrupted
> EXT4-fs (dm-0): unable to read superblock
> device-mapper: verity: 179:4: metadata block 2 is corrupted
> EXT4-fs (dm-0): unable to read superblock
> device-mapper: verity: 179:4: metadata block 2 is corrupted
> SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x0
> squashfs: SQUASHFS error: unable to read squashfs_super_block
> device-mapper: verity: 179:4: metadata block 2 is corrupted
> FAT-fs (dm-0): unable to read boot sector
> mount: mounting /dev/mapper/vroot on /mnt/ failed: Input/output error
> Failed to mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 on mnt/
> reboot: Restarting system
> Reboot failed -- System halted
>
> Using veritysetup to verify the integrity against the hashes is successful,
> as it's not using the kernel for that ...
>

> So it looks like it something changed from 4.8.4 to 4.14.14.

If I am not mistaken the Atmel SHA hw accelerator is an async (read:
off CPU) crypto accelerator.
 Up until 4.12 (I think...) DM-Verity did not use async crypto
accelerators (even if present and have high
priority). I've changed this is commit d1ac3ff008fb ("dm verity:
switch to using asynchronous hash crypto API").

Is it possible that whatever issue you are seeing has always been
there and when DM-Verity started using
async. accelerators it was only exposed?