[dm-devel] [for-4.16 PATCH v2 2/3] block: cope with gendisk's 'queue' being added later

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 04:21:14 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 09 2018 at 10:46pm -0500,
Ming Lei <tom.leiming at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Mike Snitzer <snitzer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Since I can remember DM has forced the block layer to allow the
> > allocation and initialization of the request_queue to be distinct
> > operations.  Reason for this was block/genhd.c:add_disk() has required
> > that the request_queue (and associated bdi) be tied to the gendisk
> > before add_disk() is called -- because add_disk() also deals with
> > exposing the request_queue via blk_register_queue().
> >
> > DM's dynamic creation of arbitrary device types (and associated
> > request_queue types) requires the DM device's gendisk be available so
> > that DM table loads can establish a master/slave relationship with
> > subordinate devices that are referenced by loaded DM tables -- using
> > bd_link_disk_holder().  But until these DM tables, and their associated
> > subordinate devices, are known DM cannot know what type of request_queue
> > it needs -- nor what its queue_limits should be.
>
> Maybe DM is the only kind of this case, but it is easy to cause
> trouble by adding disk before setting up queue.
>
> In theory, once disk is added, it becomes visible for external world, and
> IO starts to come and sysfs operations come too, then block has to deal
> with these cases.

Hi,

Yes, I had concerns about this.  But that theory is for a fully formed
disk (one that has a request_queue attached to disk->queue).  So far my
testing of these changes with DM (using various testsuites) hasn't
encountered _any_ problems.

But please try to break it... ;)
I have the changes in a git branch here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/snitzer/linux.git/log/?h=block-4.16

> Another related issue is that blk-mq debugfs can't work yet for dm-mpath.

Not sure how that is a related issue to this thread.
But can you expand on that?  I'm not familiar with "blk-mq debugfs".
Any pointer to code that activates it?  Could be that my changes make it
work now...

> So I am just wondering if it is possible to follow the usual way to add disk
> after setting up queue for DM? If it is possible, it may avoid lots of trouble
> for us.

As I explained in the header (quoted above actually) it is _not_
possible.  It is the gendisk that enables the device stack to be
constructed (at least how DM's stacking is currently implemented with
bd_link_disk_holder() and taking references on devices found in a DM
device's table).  And from that gendisk I can then walk the devices to
establish the request_queue as needed, its stacked limits, etc.

The approach I've taken in these patches is the closest I've gotten to
make DM _much_ more sane about how its request_queue is established.
But its still off the beaten path due to needing "block: cope with
gendisk's 'queue' being added later".

Mike