[dm-devel] device mapper mapping across reboot

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 13:31:41 UTC 2018

Dne 9.3.2018 v 10:58 jitendra kumar khasdev napsal(a):
> Hi All,
>
> I wrote the basic target using device mapper framework. Using dmsetup utility
> I am able to create device node under /dev/mapper/my_custom_mapper.
>
> But when I do reboot the system, it lost the mapping. Is there any way by
> which I can create mapping during boot like LVM does.

Hi

lvm2 is exactly solving this problem as it maintains consistent 'metadata' on
every device - so upon reboot devices are discovered and from their metadata
dm tables are actived/restored.

So  are you looking for recreation of all the lvm2 infrastructure for this
relatively quite complex task ?

Or you just want to 'create' DM after kernel is booted ?

Or you even want to pass 'DM' table line on kernel boot option line - so even
your boot device is a 'DM' device ?

It's unclear which problem are you actually solving so please be more specific.

Regards

Zdenek