[dm-devel] Patch "dm: ensure bio submission follows a depth-first tree walk" has been added to the 4.15-stable tree

Mike Snitzer snitzer at redhat.com
Thu Mar 22 13:47:59 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 22 2018 at  9:06am -0400,
gregkh at linuxfoundation.org <gregkh at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled
>
>     dm: ensure bio submission follows a depth-first tree walk
>
> to the 4.15-stable tree which can be found at:
>     http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary
>
> The filename of the patch is:
>      dm-ensure-bio-submission-follows-a-depth-first-tree-walk.patch
> and it can be found in the queue-4.15 subdirectory.
>
> If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
> please let <stable at vger.kernel.org> know about it.

The following applies to 4.14 stable@ too.

I think it very questionable to pull this into stable trees.  How'd it
even elevate to be considered for stable@?

But if you do, you definitely need this additional upstream commit:
8dd601fa8317 ("dm: correctly handle chained bios in dec_pending()")

Even with that I'm not excited about supporting some partial backport of
these changes because there were a lot more related changes -- only
taking a subset makes these stable@ kernels unicorns.. I deal with
enough unicorn vendor kernels (but on my terms, with my control over
what is "supportable"):

Anyway, other related commits are:
80cd17578310 dm crypt: remove BIOSET_NEED_RESCUER flag
c110a4b6e603 dm io: remove BIOSET_NEED_RESCUER flag from bios bioset
f31c21e4365c dm: remove unused 'num_write_bios' target interface
318716ddea08 dm: safely allocate multiple bioset bios
4a3f54d94d5c dm: remove BIOSET_NEED_RESCUER based dm_offload infrastructure
0776aa0e30aa dm: ensure bio-based DM's bioset and io_pool support targets' maximum IOs
3d7f45625a84 dm: fix __send_changing_extent_only() to send first bio and chain remainder

So NAK from me.  If others have a compelling argument I'm open to
considering.

Mike